Tuesday 23 February 2010

Power to the chopstick and down with the fork.

This week's been odd. Hoi An was easily my favourite place I've been so far. I spent a lot of money there though. The tailoring-ah dear. I got a dress and a jacket made up, the dress is probably the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, so it's okay. I spent a fair bit paying for the cookery class too but that was totally worth it and I can make everyone spicy noodles, curry etc when I get back now :) In reference to the title of this post, this trip is totally revolutionising the way I eat. I've turned, like all the asians into a 'grazer', just eating ALL DAY long. I don't understand how they are all so skinny, they eat all the time and they don't walk anywhere! I've grown to love steamed rice with SoySauce and a fork is so boring now...I love chopsticks. Apparantly the higher you hold them, the more clever you are: I doubt that's true but I do hold mine right at the top! So for the sake of my ego I'm totally going with that and saying that yes, I am infact a high chopstick holding genius:) I had some really horrible news on Sunday that my Nonno in Sicily passed away and it created a bit of a domino effect in my brain leading to having a bit of a cry and wanting to go home. I'd like to give my Dad a massiveeee hug and just generally be there to maybe annoy him so much that it distracts him from what's going on. On the flip side my cousin just had a baby so it's just really strange being the other side of the world and missing everything that's happening. I'm in Hue now and it's damp. The air is damp, the hotel room which we stayed in last night was damp-so much so that we moved to the hotel next door and the general feel of the place is kinda lame. I'd like to get moving asap and venture on to Hanoi. However, this will entail a 15 hour bus journey or getting another train which will take longer and we all know how much I just LOVED the last train ride...There's not many whities here and I feel like a bit of a circus freak even more so than usual. Keep getting stared at and it's annoying. Talking of annoying the taxi drivers/shop owners/moto riders/bike people are really doing my head in. Every step you take causes a "MOTO?!" "YOU WANT TOUR?!" "BUY SOMETHING!" "COME LOOK IN MY SHOP!" "WHERE YOU FROM?!" Ahhh, I'm not an advocate for violence but I hope that a taxi driver crashes into a moto rider who takes out one of the bike people who skids into a shop and the whole thing blows up...maybe then I'll be able to walk in peace. I feel ill too, keep sneezing! I'm relieved that once I'm in Malaysia things are a bit more modern. Doing the more grotty countries first was a good idea, there is only so much showering in brown water one person can take. I hope that the next time I do a post i'll be in Hanoi, so until then miss me as much as I miss you! Whoever you may beee. Loves and hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments: