Monday 22 March 2010

shock shock

This last part of my trip took an unexpected turn because a friend from home decided to come out to Thailand for a few weeks. My friend Emily hardly deserved the title 'friend' before this trip, she was more of an acquaintence. Granted we went on a holiday together last year but it was in a group of 20 and of them all she was probably one of a few who I wouldn't have felt cool about being alone with but only in fear of a dreaded awkward silence...not because I think she'd try to kill me or anything. Those worries were laid to rest almost instantly however and I'm pretty certain I've gained a new friend for life. Before we met in Bangkok Airport, I was excited for all the wrong reasons. I was excited because I wouldn't neccessarily have to stay in dorms anymore, because the cost of a taxi could be halved and because shit tends to get a whole lot easier when you have somebody to reaffirm the decisions you make. I quickly realised though that the risks of travelling alone is part of what makes it so great. For example, getting to the top of the Petronas Towers was good in its own right but managing to navigate my way around a map of KL and finding the bloody things all alone was rewarding in its own way too! Staying on Koh San Rd was a bit of a faux pas but at 2 quid a night who can say no? The music which played for 23.5 hours a day just below our room would have at any other time kept me wide awake but luckily I was exhausted from the trip from Chiang Mai. A couple of days back in Bangkok and I realised it's not got shit on a lot of other places I've visited. We went to the Erawan Waterfalls and then left for Koh Tao to escape the city sharpish, especially as there's riots a foot. Another overnight bus and then a few hours on a boat, hell. Holy shit though, is Koh Tao worth it or is Koh Tao worth it!? Paradise. Forget anywhere else, this is where it's at. White sand, blue skies, crystal clear water and a vibe so mellow even the dogs seem to drag their feet. I've yet to hear one bark. I can't say much about my time here as the days have been spent on the beach. The last couple of nights have been lively as there's a festival aiming to preserve this little island going on...Thai's know how to party! Tomorrow though, chilled nights on the beach looking at the stars, watching the fire dancers and meeting new people will resume and become the norm again. I've around 10 days left here before the journey back into Bangkok to catch my next flight has to start. I'll be making the most of it! P.S This entry took forever because doing nothing and enjoying myself tired me out and made me too lazy to even contemplate sitting at on my laptop for 20 minutes to write this dribble but everyone's always on my back about it so I'll make more of an effort...If not these couple of weeks can be summed up in three words; THE BIG CHILL.

No comments: